The Aytoun Hall was built through public subscription as a memorial to Captain Aytoun of Glendevon who introduced a pure water supply to the town in the 1830s. The Girnal House, founded by Lord Kames in the 1790s, before the Aytoun Hall was added in 1872. As a result the complex comprises both buildings, which have been ‘B’ listed by Historic Scotland.
In accordance with the 1903 Town Council Confirmation Act, responsibility for the buildings transferred to the first Auchterarder Town Council. Following subsequent Local Government (Scotland) Acts in the 1970s and 1990s, Perth & Kinross Council is therefore deemed to be the owner of the building on behalf of the Auchterarder Community. Work is ongoing to keep the fabric of the building up to the standards required in this modern age.
With a £1.4 million refurbishment in 2010, the Aytoun Hall continues to be a community hub. Concerts, meetings and events keeping it’s profile as the heart of the town intact.